Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thing 10: School Wikis

Last month, the only thing I knew about Wikis was Wikipedia=BAD. I have since learned that wikis can be useful for students and teachers to communicate and collaborate on projects. Anyone can add or edit content so contributors do not have to HTML to edit or add material.

Unfortunately, several wikis listed on the "23 Things" project directives are no longer timely. I wonder if those teachers found issues with the wiki and if so, what could be the problem? I wish I knew. In addition, most wikis are better suited for middle school students and older.

However, Vicki Davis's Westwood Schools online space, found at http://westwood.wikispaces.com/, is a shining example of a quality and versatile wiki. Vicki Davis also writes for Cool Cat Teacher. Westwood's wiki contains student portfolios, archives for computer and technology classes. It has also won various awards since 2005.

I think wikis are an advanced method of publishing writing, art, and even science projects. Students can collaborate and modify content from their individual home computers. They also provide a method of sharing projects with classmates and various educators. I imagine students researching historical figures, states, and animals and then, publishing on wikis.

No comments:

Post a Comment