Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thing 5: Social Networking

I have been using Facebook for almost 6 years. I use it daily to share news with friends and fellow educators. I have also met, in the virtual sense, several teachers and librarians from various schools and cities. We also have a UHCL closed group for people in the LLLS program so we can share links and ideas.

I have "Liked" J. Frank Dobie High School Library's Facebook page because DHS is right next to my school and I would like to know how the librarians are promoting reading to my former students.

I would enjoy having a Facebook page for my school library but I understand that most parents would not be comfortable with young children logging on. Maybe I could invite parents instead. I have found that my coworkers are not comfortable with Facebook because they do not want parents to message them. I have not had a big problem with that and I enjoy using Facebook.

I use Pinterest on a daily basis to do research and collect sites for future projects. I also use Goodreads to see what other teachers are reading and what books they recommend. I think all three websites have helped me become a better, more interesting, and more effective educator.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about the UHCL library group on Facebook, Lupe. Now, I'm off to join! See, this is how you get sucked back into Facebook. One person or group at a time... :)

    ReplyDelete