Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Thing 4: RSS and Newsreaders

You know how you don't miss something until it's gone? What happens if you found it two weeks before the expiration date? Bummer...

Now that I've explored the Google Reader, I must not get attached because it will be retired on July 1.

The benefits of RSS (Really Simple Syndication) are many. You can subscribe to several blogs/websites and filter through the extraneous information and advertisements. Wish I had known this before! I subscribe to about two dozen educational blogs and sometimes, I don't want to see all those emails. Especially if the information does not pertain to me. For students (and teachers) who get overwhelmed with too much information, RSS is a nice delivery system.

I explored TopixSyndic8, and Technorati. I disliked the format of Syndic8 - it seemed to be stuck in the 90's, but I will need to explore Topix and Technorati when I have more time.

Now I will need to research Google Reader alternatives and decide which program works best for me and my needs.

Alternatives suggested:


1 comment:

  1. I switched to Feedly when the news came out. I prefer it for reading feeds on my computer. I reviewed it here: http://www.thejoecatholic.org/2013/04/feedly-heir-to-google-reader.html'

    While I am on my mobile devices, I still think Flipboard is the best. I reviewed it here: http://www.thejoecatholic.org/2012/01/tuesday-tech-talk-flipboard.html

    ReplyDelete